Monday, March 31, 2014

Book Cover - 3rd Project


I decided to design a cover for legendary guitarist Robert Johnson. When I began the project I wanted to incorporate elements from the myth that surrounds Johnson. The myth that he sold his soul to the devil for his extraordinary guitar skills. As I began working with the symbols surrounding the myth the crossroads and the devil I found the cover looking juvenile. I wanted it to have a kind of old fashioned look. I debated adding other colors into my design but all that did was draw the eye to the section with color. I wanted the eye to go to the picture of Johnson because I think it is poignant picture. The photo I used is one of the only three published photos of Johnson. My original background used an old fashioned letter but as I worked I decided it made more sense to use sheet music. My choice of font may seem strange but I decided to use Blue Highway. It is the closest font to what is used on American highway signs! I felt like it went with the myth that Johnson sold his soul at a crossroad. Highway/Crossroad/Street kind of vibe but it might be to obscure for the average person. I really want to do something different with the back cover but am unsure of what to do! I ran out of time and ideas. I am happy that I was able to incorporate a demon image without it being overpowering. I wish I could have utilized the crossroad imagery into the back but maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment